But as of today, we have 34 days until we leave for the Dominican Republic.
I wanted to share a few details about some specific things we have done to get ready for this move.
1. Applied for a Visa. Since Jon is an elder, and wants to continue to serve as one while in DR; and we all would like to serve as pioneers when we get there, we had to apply for a visa. We checked out the DR Consulate website to find out which was the best option for us (Business Visa; which you don't have to be there for business purposes to get it). However, once we get to Samana, there are still some steps we need to take to complete the process. But you must begin the process while in the States. One website that was helpful for us was: ConsulateDRWest.com
2. Had a Yard Sale. Then we had another one.... We can't take many things with us and I'm not really worried or concerned about not having some things if/when we return. Having a fresh start doesn't sound that bad. So, we sold some things!
3. List the Items we Will Take. Actually, before we had our yard sale, we made a list of the items in every room in our apartment. Each and every item in every room.... And then we figured if the item will be for the Yard Sale, To Store, or To Take. And then stick with the list!!
4. Ship Some Items. We haven't actually done this one yet, but we do have the information and are in the process of completing this step. Depending on where you live, you may have different options on how to get your items to DR. We are using the company La Rosa del Monte. We'll let you know how our experience goes with them. So far they have been very helpful.
5. Most importantly.... Keep Praying Everyday! We're nervous and excited at the same time.... but happy and anxious. I never knew you could feel so excited and feel so nervous at the very same time. It's almost the same feeling - but completely opposite. I know it makes no sense, but right now, its the best feeling in the world! But praying to Jehovah about it really helps me to calm my fears and rely completely on Him.